Thursday, September 19, 2013

It's not that I find it boring ...

I think that I am getting tired of hearing ADHD described as "have trouble doing tasks that you find boring."  That just isn't right.  It misses somehow. 

Boring: causing boredom
Boredom: the state of being weary and restless through lack of interest

Don't get me wrong.  I hate being bored.  It's just that this description feels like it almost is mixing up cause and effect.  A better description that isn't as nice of a sound bite goes like this:

Tasks that are insufficiently rewarding or that have delayed rewards are incredibly difficult to start, stay focused on, and complete. 

Rewarding: giving you a good feeling that you have done something valuable, important, etc.

See the difference?  It's not that the tasks are boring; it's that they are not rewarding.  Our brains are wired to receive rewards through interest; but it's the lack of rewards that is the problem.  Or maybe, it's because "lack of interest" has the connotation of "doesn't care" when it truly is lack of interest.  Is anyone really interested in folding laundry or filling out forms?

Interest:  5a :  a feeling that accompanies or causes special attention to an object or class of objects :  concern  b :  something that arouses such attention  c :  a quality in a thing arousing interest

I don't know.  I don't find forms "boring." I find them fantastically and exceedingly difficult to the point that I have trouble reading and making sense of them.  And while, doing the laundry is boring, that isn't why that task is difficult to finish per se.  Truth is, I will start it and stop in the middle for no discernible  reason and never even notice that I did so.  And putting something in the mail ... well, I contend that this is a near impossible task and am amazed that anyone at all is able to do so with regularity.  My sister tells me that this task is easy, but I am pretty sure that she is having a joke at my expense.  I mean, really!?  No one could possibly find that task easy.

Well, I've got to go.  I am well-overbooked today.  Wish I had time to clean up the format of this thing, but I don't.  Maybe another day.  Just so you know, it's driving me crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment