Friday, May 30, 2014

Maintaining one's spirit

I hate how the daily grind of living with hidden disabilities makes me feel. I hate that I feel powerless. I hate that I have to keep my paperwork perfect and watch every word I say or write, but that the others can be as incompetent as the days are long with no consequence. I hate that I have no say. I hate that I have to take their careless remarks at face-value, but that I cannot make similar remarks to counter theirs. I hate that no matter what actions I take, how sympathetic I am, and how reasonable, balanced, and objective my observations and statements are, I am not listened to.

I am the enemy and nothing I say is true and it is all geared to take advantage of the system. I would weep if I had the energy. I would scream if it would do any good.

All I can do is plod on, day after day. This is the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing and expecting a different result. It's the end of the school year, and I've convinced one person of the truth of my words. One. She's promised to explain everything to the teachers next year (if she is still around - that's ominous). Well, I did that this school year, to no avail. Perhaps because she is one of them, she will have a different result from mine. After all, what do I, the parent, know?

I could go into my bona fides:

  1. Profession: Solutions Architect in an approximately 14,000 person company for the Training and Simulation Service Line, employing about 1,000 people, where I design and develop solutions, methods and approaches that apply technology as required to training, education, simulation, and analysis problems for the government and other customers.
  2. Professional Experience: Applied all stages of the ADDIE model (Analysis, Design, Develop, Implement, and Evaluation) for training and professional education courseware development. 
    • Determination of course requirements, learning objectives, desired mastery level in terms of Bloom's taxonomy, identification of essential skill requirements for government professional development and training
    • Design of courses  for government professional development and training
    • Development of courses for government professional development and training. undergraduate math, graduate engineering management, and continuing education courses
    • Teaching at the college level and for professional development courses. 
    • Individual tutoring of students at various skill levels, including students with LD.
    • Development of course evaluation criteria and student rubrics and evaluation instruments
    • Implementation of course evaluation surveys and student testing
    • Development, design, and application of analytic studies and methods to include the development analytic instruments (qualitative and quantitative) for various objectives to include education.
  3. Professional Skills: Articulate professional with experience speaking to and briefing corporate executives, general officers, Congressman, and others in formal and informal settings. 
    • Approximately two dozen peer reviewed publications, including three journal articles, one of which I was the primary author.
    • One of six nominees for best paper in the largest international conference dedicated to training and education.
  4. Professional Education: Advanced degrees in math and math related disciplines that include an emphasis on instrumentation, statistics, data analysis, and data analysis methods.
  5. Personal Experience: Diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, having a significant repertoire of tools, techniques and coping mechanisms that have led to significant scholastic and professional successes. Work with my son daily to develop similar skills.
  6. Informal Education: significant reading about ADHD, LD, executive function, special education processes, etc.
This would do little good and only antagonize them more.

Nope, it's clear that I know nothing, and my word cannot be taken. How do they manage to make me feel so small, insignificant, irrelevant, and incompetent? How do they make me feel like nothing I do, nothing I can do, matters?

I hate the way this process, dealing with these hidden disabilities, makes me feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment